Wednesday, June 13, 2012

To do the “impossible”

In life you will face challenges – sometimes they come to you, such as the loss of a job or an unexpected diagnosis, or a relationship crisis that catches you by surprise. But sometimes, the impossible situations are things you, as a believer in the almighty God, step into deliberately out of faith in His power to bring about change. God wants to use you to bring change into this world. His plan is to see the status quo changed for the better all over the world through you as a believer if you will dare to trust that God can do the impossible through you.

If you learn a few lessons from the life of a man named Nehemiah, God will begin to give you that same faith to believe that YOU can be an instrument of change in some sort of “impossible situation”. It’s a story about how God can do impossible things through you. Nehemiah 1:1-2:18

When God wants you to do something great for him – even to attempt something impossible, the first thing you need to do is…

(1). Start where God has given you a concern.
Nehemiah has a cushy job in Susa, serving the King. But his heart is concerned with matters greater than just his own life and happiness. He has a burden for the welfare of his homeland. He’s concerned about what’s going on there – even though he’s never been there himself. And when he receives the bad news from his brother he doesn’t just say “Oh well, I sure hope they get it together soon.” No – God has given him a passion – a great concern that burns in his heart. His heart is broken when he hears about the broken down walls of what was once a great and powerful city.

What is it that moves your heart to compassion and concern? What stirs you to action? Recognize that God has given you that passion for a reason. Perhaps he wants you to do something about it! START WHERE GOD HAS GIVEN YOU A CONCERN.

The next step after God gives you a concern for something that needs changing. It may be the hardest one of all. (2). Spend time praying and fasting and waiting.

There’s an important principle here. BEFORE you go out to accomplish anything for God, you need to spend time on your knees clarifying exactly what it is God is calling you to do. BEFORE you go out to change the world, to do impossible things in His name, you’ve got to take the time to pray – to fast – and to wait. What is fasting? In the Bible it is going without food for some period of time. By doing so you focus your mind on prayer, and you serve God notice that you are serious about what you are praying for. You show God that the spiritual work you are involved in is more important for the time being than your physical needs. And it is one of the keys to spiritual breakthroughs.

(3). When God opens the door, be bold! (Neh. 2:1-9) Nehemiah has spent 4 months praying and fasting and waiting for God to make it clearer what he is supposed to do. And then finally, the king notices a difference in his cupbearer’s demeanor and asks about it. Did you notice Nehemiah’s response: he was afraid! But the important thing is he doesn’t allow his fear to paralyze him. He realizes that here is an opportunity to end his period of waiting and begin acting upon the concern God has given him for Jerusalem. And so he asks – BOLDLY.

If you are ever going to do the “impossible” for God, there is going to come a time when you’re praying and waiting will need to turn to action. God will provide on opportunity somehow, and then even though you may feel afraid you need to have the courage to swallow hard and move through that fear into asking for what you need.

(4). Keep your vision guarded until the time is right.
There are some people, who will hear about the big, impossible task you feel God has called you to do, and all they will do is try and trample your dream. They will remind you of all the reasons you can’t do it, or why it’s a bad idea to begin with, or of all the people who’ve tried before and failed, and that you’re unqualified.

If God gives you a burden for something – hold that concern closely and give God time to strengthen and clarify your vision through prayer, fasting, and waiting. Then when God opens a door – be bold and act upon your concerns. But even then – carefully guard who and when you share your vision.

There are plenty of “impossible” situations out there in your life that you could say are beyond the powers of a person like you to change. But God’s word reminds you today that He uses people like you to partner with His unlimited power and resources to bring change. In the words of the Lord’s Prayer, “thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”

Hears what you need to ask yourself.
• What has God given you a concern about? Are you willing to move beyond?
• Are you willing to fast and pray for direction? Are you willing to wait for direction, while constantly praying and seeking His direction?
• Will you move beyond your fear to boldly act when God opens the door?

If God has given you a burden about something, follow Nehemiah’s example – and see what God will accomplish through you.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this, because tonight I needed it. I have been going through something for the past almost 5 months, that at times I feel like it's 'just me'. I've gone back and forth, and lost faith because this task, this concern and burden on my heart, seems like something impossible for me to overcome. This is mainly because I'M not the one who has to overcome it really, it's someone I love and care about. No one but me and God really understand this, and it makes it that much harder because the things people say kind of make me loose faith and hope. But tonight, this happened to be the first thing that popped up when I typed in "When God gives you an impossible task", and I'm glad it was. My problem is about a person God placed in my life in 2009, that literally changed everything. This person gave me motivation enough to believe in God and have faith and hope and to love at a time when I was down and out and lost. Three years later, a lot of events have happened in this year that have brought us to a breaking point in our relationship, mainly because we strayed from God. This person I love so much, has pretty much abandoned all hope all faith and is turning into a completely different person and it just isn't right. This isn't his personality at all. I think after 3 years I would know what he's like, and the way he is now isn't it at all. He has a lot of things inside he doesn't want to admit to or face, and I remember being like that before we met. My point is, the faith he helped me to have is no longer in him, he is lost, and I see it, and it's pulling at my heart strings here to watch it happen. It's a daily concern, but I know God put him in my life at the time I needed it because He knew someday he would need me, even if he doesn't ask me or God for help. But I guess we are very impatient people, and sometimes we want to go by our time instead of God's and just give up when we get tired, but that's not how it should be. We need to be bold, we need to act, pray, wait, and have faith. Fear and doubt get in the way constantly, but God knows that and that's why His word says "do not fear" and "trust in the Lord with all your heart". I havent been doing that I guess, and that's probably why everything seems so hopeless. Sorry for my rant, but I'm just so thankful I found this!

    ReplyDelete